There is something very significant about the beginning of a new year that encourages entrepreneurs to reflect and set goals for future self-improvement. January was the month when most successful entrepreneurs reflected on the past 365 days, examined their successes and failures, and then determined how in 2012 they would make things better.
Successful entrepreneurs set intelligent worthwhile goals. Entrepreneurs are now realising the need to think and work even smarter during our current global depression. The business world is simply not as easy as it once was. Skilled entrepreneurial communicators are presently rising above the floundering masses and building their businesses based on excellent communication principles and improved relationships with their clients.
Here are our Corporate Intelligence Training New Year’s communication resolution tips to help entrepreneurs to lift their game and improve profits in 2012:
1. Set communication goals. Define what it is you want to achieve before you speak, present, write, sell or negotiate. If your mind is focused, your communication messages will also be. Define the essence of your communication goal (in one sentence) before you begin to communicate.
2. Manage your stress. Stress kills communication and destroys business relationships. We simply cannot communicate effectively when we are stressed. Stress negatively impacts body language and vocal tone and your overall communication messages.
3. Simplify your communication messages. Keep your communication messages clear and short in order to be easily understood.
4. Become more Emotionally Intelligent. Business in the 21st century is becoming increasingly more intuitive and relationship-based. People want to do business with people they like. Enrol on an E.Q. (Emotional Quotient) course or read books on how to increase your personal EQ.
5. Answer e-mails and voicemail messages within 24 hours. Failing to respond timeously must surely be South Africa’s worst communication habit. Let’s show the rest of the world that we are responsible and professional. Acknowledge all your voicemail and e-mail messages within a 24 hour period.
6. Use the magic words whenever you can and smile, smile, smile! Irrespective of whether you were taught to say “please” and “thank you”, learn to use these two magic words. Your smile will influence your vocal tone over the telephone and light up the darkest room.
7. Communication proves that The Law of Attraction works. The attitude you project when you communicate will determine how you are treated in return. Therefore, choose your approach and attitude intelligently whenever you communicate. It is your invitation to others to treat you in a particular way.
8. Learn from your mistakes. Get regular feedback from those you trust, and work on your weak communication areas. Remember, it is only a mistake if you don’t learn the important lesson that comes along with an unfortunate incident.
9. Improve your communication habits. There really is no such thing as a bad communicator. There are simply bad communication habits. Communication skills training will help you to become the best communicator you can be, and it will help you to maximize on your unique personal strengths.
10. Enrol on a communication course this year. No matter how excellent your communication skills may be, better yourself this year. The best sports professionals never stop going for coaching: the better they become the more coaching they attend.
Improve your communication skills in 2012 and watch how your business and life improves. It really is almost impossible to succeed if you cannot communicate effectively. Good luck!