I am sure you all know that the greatest asset in your business is your staff. They are often seen as causing the most issues too! But leadership is about leading people. Most of us don’t lead; we manage. And the results we see are the product of attitude, behaviour and conditioning. But here’s the secret: if you focus on results alone you are already too late.
A winning team mindset
How would it be if you, as the owner of the company, arrived at work and your staff had met their sales targets, completed all the administration correctly, ensured that the office was clean and tidy as well as organised, collected all the debtors and your profits were increasing because of their great productivity?
It’s not a fantasy. It’s a fact for some companies that have got out of the ‘negative staff issues’ mentality and into the ‘winning team’ mindset.
If you want to build your business and increase your income here are some secrets you can use.
What you need to discover to enable a ‘Winning team’
- Code of Honour: This is a set of rules that binds teams together, even in adverse circumstances. The team lives and breathes the rules because they have developed them together and ensure that they live the code – just like the marines! It’s about supporting each other. In the absence of a code people do their own thing as evidenced by company crashes in the early part of this century.
The easiest way to avoid disharmony, back stabbing and selfishness in a team is to ensure that everyone is playing by the same rules. It’s crucial to ensure that the team actually behave in accordance with the code – not just to write down rules. A code of honour should be designed to bring out the best in every person who subscribes to it.
- Clear Set of Priorities: Company Mission first, Team second and Needs of the Individual last. Many teams have a reversed set. This causes the team not to work at its best. Just because you want to be on a team it does not mean you should be. You need people on a team who will push you up rather than hold you down.
- Key Leadership Skills:
- Ability to spot the strengths in others and get them to play to those strengths (however practice makes perfect)
- The ability to teach Teaching your team to be successful by working with them and challenging them to make them successful in their own right. Leading selling motivating and involving people helps them to learn.
- Using mistakes to empower and strengthen the team
- Creating and maintaining frequency of interaction
- Communicating with each other face to face
- Ability to see and communicate the brightness and opportunities of the future
- Ability to sell – getting people to do things is selling to them
- Champion the code – leaders must do this
Stay the course
According to the roulette wheel of leadership everyone will at some point have to lead.
When you have implemented these ideas you will find that you may lose some staff. That will be positive as often we have employed people that are not right for our organisation. You will also find:
- Staff have high energy: this permeates into everything you do. Energy creates an upbeat environment.
- Staff want to win: all the time even when the going is tough. To do whatever it takes to win.
- Staff put aside the desire for immediate personal gain and be willing to support others so the team can win.
This will have a dramatic effect on your company and your sales. You will have a winning team who go all out to make the environment great for all to work in and because of this the company will be incredibly successful. To find out more about this go to www.salespartnerscapetown.co.za/8-little-known-secrets-of-business-success