When working on a new project, many of us reach a breaking point and give up when things start getting difficult. Recognising what makes you throw in the towel, and understanding your threshold is critical to exceeding your goals and pumping up your passion.
Fight or flight
Here are some quick tips for staying charged up and in flow.
- Handicap yourself. New challenges keep us revved up. As you become more skilled, the challenge is reduced. If you’re bored, handicap yourself. Be more critical about quality, add a more difficult element, start another division in your company or design a new product.
- Offload tasks. High-achievers have an instinctive feel for when enough is enough. Surround yourself with people who are smarter than you are in a variety of disciplines and offload tasks. Whatever you do, don’t be a martyr and let the anxiety overwhelm you.
- Avoid boredom. When people get really, really bored, they circle back around to anxiety and find themselves trapped on a hamster wheel going nowhere. If you’re feeling gnawing, unspecific anxiety and boredom, it might be time to change direction entirely. It’s time to rethink your life and professional goals.
- Paradox alert! Work through the tedium. Much of what you need to do to become a superstar is repetitive – it will be boring. But there are those things you have to do in order to do what you want to do. Being bored is often a signal that you’re doing something that is not interesting to you, but be smart enough to know when it’s required of you, and then keep on going.
- Stay a little longer. Stay and practice a little longer and eventually it will all add up. Read one more article, take one more class, have one more discussion or call one more prospect.
It’s not as hard you might think to be a high achiever. Pay attention to your emotional state every day and adjust your skills and challenges accordingly. Stay just a little longer while everyone else is throwing in the towel. Succeed beyond your dreams. The gift you get from this new awareness is profound. It’ll reignite your passion.