You’re in good company if you consistently do the same thing expecting a different result. Some would even argue this is insanity but I prefer to tread lightly in this arena as I find myself caught up in the mayhem of ‘idea vs. action conflict’ from time to time too.
This article is inspired by an A+ client of mine who accepted a 150 day business acceleration challenge from me 120 days ago. While he’d been working harder (read: longer & later) than ever before he seemed to be stuck between a rock and a hard place. He’d been through our Life Activation programme over a year before; he was clear on his goals. We’d consulted with him on time maximisation techniques; he knew what he needed to do to boost productivity. But while he had the tools, he continually chose to ignore them. Eventually the late nights, low revenue and lack of exercise caught up with him, he was stressed, frustrated, underperforming and quite frankly overwhelmed by the sheer volume mounting up on his desk. No more ifs, buts or maybes; he was ready to change and the challenge was set.
If you are tired of your own whinging, take heed of these 3 ‘kick me off the starting blocks’ solutions to get you up and running in no time, compliments of Mr A+:
- Do something, anything, every day towards reaching your goals. This daily commitment increases awareness which improves your chances of taking action. With action comes momentum. It’s contagious.
- Go to bed (sleep) earlier and wake up earlier. Statistics show that we are most energised in the morning. As a result we are able to complete tasks faster with a more favourable result. For many years I fooled myself into believing I was a night owl and would often find myself at my desk beyond midnight. I realise now that it was because I was staying up late that I couldn’t get going in the morning. I now wake up at 5am and go to bed at 10pm something I thought wasn’t possible. The benefits I am experiencing as a result are:
- I am no longer tired (so I don’t procrastinate as much)
- I spend the first 1 hour of my day focused on my high value revenue driving tasks. Getting these done leaves room in my day for all the reactive things that fly my way.
- I have 45 minutes to exercise in the morning before getting ready for the office and waking up the kids.
- By crunching my time container and increasing my time awareness I realise I no longer have time to dawdle. With this focus I find myself making less excuses and moving more things from to-do to done in a day.
- Raise the bar. By setting myself higher financial targets it was no longer viable to coast along as I was. Now that I see that this new expectation is possible, I realise I need to move the goalposts again. Anything is possible if you believe it.
In 120 days Mr A+ has estimated a 50% increase in his output. In October his gross revenue increased by 100%. He has been running 5-7 km’s five times a week since September. He is feeling empowered and powerful. There is not stopping him now!
Get Organised signs confidentiality agreements with their clients to protect their privacy. Names have been changed.
Need a productivity boost? Visit www.getorganised.co.za to download the Get Organised Business Productivity E-book.