How can small and growing businesses benefit for a public relations campaign?
While many SMEs are aware of the broad benefits of PR, most lack detailed knowledge on creating, implementing and measuring a cost effective PR strategy that will benefit their businesses.
A December 2012 survey commissioned by Mynewsdesk, a UK based public relations and brand management website, revealed that 94% of UK SMEs believe PR can bring advantages to their company. Yet 57% of respondents say they only use PR on an ad hoc basis, while 30% have no PR strategy at all.
These statistics illustrate a common phenomenon across all economies; an under-developed understanding at SME level of exactly what PR is, and how it works.
Strong PR allows an organisation to manage its public reputation in a consistent, positive and proactive manner. It is through ongoing PR that brands position themselves in the public eye as industry leaders or trend setters.
Key benefits of strong PR are:
- Increasing general brand awareness that builds market credibility
- Quality coverage in the right media: media, in other words, that operate within the view of a desired target audience
- Strengthening existing brand / media relationships and forging new relationships with key media
- Enhancing brand awareness through the effective handling of issues and customer complaints
- Building the profile of company leaders through regular media interviews and exposure