This year, TEDxCapeTown 2016 is ‘Here / Hear to Listen’. TEDx fans are invited to be in the moment as the event aims to do away with distraction and open minds to pay attention to world-changing ideas being shared. The focus is to be here to hear!
As always the TEDxCapeTown stage has an impressive line-up of select speakers planned to share their powerful ideas that have the ability to help shape the world and influence our future. (To book tickets)
Agenda for 15 October, 2016 at Ratanga Junction in Century City, Cape Town:
- Gabriella Geffen – If our deepest drives shape the world, how do we reshape it?
- Anne Thistleton – Getting into their heads
- (Ian Sklarsky – live demo)
- Tom Foster – Sharks: my love, our life!
- Wilmot Arendse – Saving the planet, one paper at a time
- Carlo Randall – A wound started a Journey
- Hanelle Fourie Blair – When communication flows, disabilities dissolve
- Christopher Venter – #BlindManCan
- Robyn White – Giving a voice to the voiceless
- Babusi Nyoni – How we’re predicting Africa’s next refugee crisis using artificial intelligence
- Sisa Ntshona & Mike Wood – The Ripple Effect
- (Mel Mwevi – Poem)
- Frank Magwegwe – Shift Happens: Change your life by changing your “money story!”
- Ronak Gopaldas – Understanding Africa – moving beyond the CNN soundbytes
- Penelope Tainton – Deliver equality by disrupting education
- Tate Mhunduru – Mathematics and life: use your mind… All of it!
- (The Betsie Beers)
- Crick Lund – Mental health and poverty: Unlocking the potential for sustainable human development
- Riaan Conradie – When two wellness journeys collide
Tech-enabled to go green and enhance audience experience
For the first time since 2011, TEDxCapeTown is committed to a more tech-enabled team and delivery of the event. Audience members can expect to experience a web-enabled application, implemented by Accenture South Africa, allowing them to view the programme of the day, listed speakers and their bios and directly engage via the TEDxCapeTown social channels in-app.
For the second consecutive year, Accenture South Africa has decided to partner with the largest TEDx event on the African continent, to demonstrate and share contributions to innovation. Accenture strongly identifies with the ethos of TEDx which exists to discuss ideas worth spreading.
“Accenture and TEDx believe passionately in the power of innovation to change attitudes, perceptions and behaviours. In South Africa, Accenture remains committed to playing a strategic role in supporting our clients and helping to drive sustainable economic growth,” says Suren Govender, Managing Director of Accenture Analytics, part of Accenture Digital.
“Our focus at TEDx this year really is to listen to the ideas local TEDx folks have and assist by translating these ideas – from strategy to outcome – into meaningful and actionable results that could contribute to job creation and growing the economy.”
First time attending?
Here are highlights from last year’s event: TEDxCapeTown 2015:
- Behind the scenes, from the speaker’s perspective
- Playlist of TEDxCapeTown 2015 videos
- TEDxCapeTown in pictures
While TEDxCapeTown provides the platform for sharing ideas it is the community’s responsibility to spread these ideas.
Whether it’s clicking to share online or conversations you have in between sessions or days after the show, listen carefully and take the time to understand the perspective of all those in our TEDx community.