If you’re interested in becoming a franchisee, there are three key areas to consider before signing on the dotted line.
There are three core parts to becoming a franchisor. First, you need to determine if franchising is right for you. Franchising is often referred to as ‘intrapreneurship’. The franchisor creates the system and processes you have to follow as a franchisee, which means you don’t have the leeway of an entrepreneur launching their own business.
Choosing a sector
Second, you need to determine which industry sector you’re interested in. Does retail, fuel, beauty, fitness or the food industry interest you? What skill sets do you possess? It’s important to note that most franchisors do not require experience in the sector of your choice.
Related: Finding Your Perfect Franchise
Sorbet for example looks for franchisees with business backgrounds rather than beauty backgrounds. The franchisor believes it is better to teach business people the beauty industry over teaching beauticians business.
Similarly, a franchisee running an automotive franchise won’t be servicing cars themselves – but they do need to understand hiring the right employees, motivating staff, customer service, good invoicing and bookkeeping practices and so on.
Choosing a franchise
Finally, once you’ve determined which sector you’re interested in, you need to choose a franchise to invest in.
A number of factors will influence this decision. First, how much cash do you have? Set up costs vary from sector to sector and brand to brand, and your unencumbered cash and how much you can secure from the bank will determine what you can afford.
Some franchise groups have multiple offerings as well, so you can choose which brand suits your needs and what you can afford.
A key factor at this stage is researching the franchise you are interested in. What do franchisees say about the system? Make sure you ask as many franchisees about their experiences as possible.
The franchisor will give you a list – make sure you ask more franchisees than this. Ideally you want a mix of happy and less-than-satisfied franchisees. No business is perfect, and you want a complete picture.
Be sure to determine which franchisees seem most like you. In this way you will be able to ascertain what aspects of the franchise system will be problematic for you, and which aspects won’t.
Related: 3 Secrets To Franchising Success
Questions to ask yourself:
- Are you prepared for the fact that your franchise will not break even for 12 to 18 months?
- Do you have the necessary savings to support yourself and your business during this time?
- Are you willing to spend at least a few weeks in this franchise or a similar franchise to understand the realities of owning a business in this sector?
- Have you researched your market, territory and competitors?
- Will there still be a market for your offering in five years’ time?
- Where do your skills lie? What industry are you coming from? Many franchises are looking for business people rather than industry and sector experts.
- Are you able to acknowledge your skills gap, and then figure out how to bridge that gap?
The Digital Headaches Of A Franchise Marketing Team
Here are my top 5 tools that can help control and regulate franchisees marketing with minimum friction.
Franchise marketing teams already know that managing campaigns for a business with multiple locations and/or stores is a time-consuming job.
When it comes to online marketing, many franchisees are frustrated with the mother brands’ national campaign strategy, as it may not suit their immediate needs. This often means they embark down the dangerous route of “rogue” or unapproved campaigns.
This is a huge risk for any brand as there is limited to no control over the message and quality of creative, often resulting in brand CI and best practices not being followed.
Rogue advertising can be totally avoided by a franchises’ marketing team by employing tools that allow them to set up a managed process where franchisees can advertise through. With a managed approval process (preferably automated) it is easier to manage “rouge” content.
Here are my top 5 tools that can help control and regulate franchisees marketing with minimum friction.
1. Create a consistent Facebook content experience whilst still allowing your franchisees to post to their own page
Facebook location pages makes it possible to, as an alternative, allow every store to open a Facebook page, each with different versions of your logo as their profile picture, as well as incomplete profile data or even old or past promotions as their cover image. You as a brand manager can set up each store as a location page on the brand’s main FB page.
The pages can all be linked to the main page and if you change the profile image or cover art, it will automatically update all the other pages. There are also a number of other marketing advantages to this, but most importantly for me was the ability to manage them all from a single interface and clean up all the old and abandoned pages that just confused customers.
2. Manage social media content
Gain is extremely simple to use and connected to all the popular social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn etc. As a user, you can create posts or ads and schedule them all from the same window. Once said posts are scheduled, the marketing team can preview the content and approve it for publication or request changes all within a matter of seconds. Best of all, nothing will get posted without your approval.
3. Free professional looking content in a template
Pablo is an old favourite of mine! It supplies predefined size templates where a user can use free professional stock photos and quickly overlay text. The feature I love most on this tool is the “insert logo” feature, which with the click of a button can overlay a banner or brand element that creates consistent content experiences. Once done, you can export the image and post it to gain for approval. Simple right!
4. Create email alerts for when your brand is found online
Talk Walker alerts is a nifty tool and acts like your personal internet detective who constantly crawls the internet for keywords that you define. I like to use my clients’ brand names and sometimes even my competitors just to keep tabs on their activity. Once set up, you receive daily emails with links to the content in question.
5. Pre-approved marketing creatives and targeting with machine learning optimisation
Lead Gener8or tool can define a bespoke target audience per store and lock advertising geographical areas to prevent any cannibalisation. Once completed, franchisees can execute pre-approved marketing campaigns as and when they wish on any of the integrated channels (SMS, Email, Facebook, Google and Youtube), without any further involvement required from the marketing team.
Powered by big-data machine learning, campaigns are automatically optimised while in flight. Marketing teams can monitor all campaigns in real time. This tool really is a game changer for franchise marketing teams and brand managers.
With these tools correctly implemented into your business, the digital headache of your franchise’s marketing team can subside and focus on what you do best, delivering results!
Choose A Job You Love, And You Will Never Have To Work A Day In Your Life
Join Col’Cacchio’s 26-year-long love story.
- Joining fee: R125 000
- Monthly management fee: 6% of turnover
- Monthly marketing fee: 2% of turnover
- Total investment: approx. R2.5m to R4.2m (turnkey) Size: 140m2 to 350m2
- Unencumbered cash (before loan): 50% of total investment
(Above figures exclude VAT)
“Owning your own restaurant is like owning your own future.” – Dominic Dempers, Franchisee Durbanville, Belvedere & Meadowridge Cape Town
We’re looking for passionate franchisees who will love our brand as much as we do.
Why you should join this delicious success story
- Assistance with site selection & lease negotiation
- Store design & build
- Full training provided for management and staff
- Marketing & operational support
- Product innovation & menu development
- Efficiency in all systems
- Healthy margins.
“Our journey started with a single restaurant on the foreshore with the aim to serve the very best pizza around” – Greg Mommsen, Business Development Director
“Watching this brand grow and empowering people has been immensely rewarding. We have staff that have been with us for over 20 years. It’s like a family, we work hard, we laugh, we cry, we celebrate and of course, we eat a lot of pizza.” – Michael Terespolsky, Founder and Managing Director
“Becoming a franchisee is an amazing opportunity to join the family and become part of the Col’Cacchio success story. We’re 100% behind out franchises at every step, making sure that we all continue to learn and flourish” – Greg Mommsen, Business Development Director
“It has been filled with challenges along the way, but all the rewards have made every moment worth it.” – Michael Terespolsky, Founder and Managing Director
Visit www.colcacchio.co.za or call Tarryn Godley on 084 800 7264 and let’s get this adventure going.
Smoothie Franchise Opportunity: Puré Frooty Is A One-Of-A-Kind Smoothie Franchise Business
Looking for the next greatest franchise opportunity? Puré Frooty Smoothie is a highly perfected Australian business model launching in the South African market that doesn’t require extensive shop fitting or a large workforce.
- Brand: Puré Frooty
- Established: 2017
- Website: www.purefrooty.co.za
Puré Frooty Smoothie is a unique business model to the South African market. A delicious, fruit filled smoothie will be created at the touch of a few buttons.
An Innovative Franchising Concept
This innovation in the healthy smoothie industry is ground breaking for South Africa. The machine is manufactured in Australia by a highly skilled team. It took six years to perfect this business model for the consumer market.
The vision of Puré Frooty Smoothie is to offer convenient on-the-go smoothies for anyone. The experience and quality will always be of the highest standard. We aim to be a staple convenience in malls, schools, office parks and hospitals. This is a platform that will allow for self-growth for passionate entrepreneurs.
Our mission is to create a unique customer experience. We want to satisfy the nutritional needs of customers by providing quality smoothies. Puré Frooty Smoothie will be packed with all the goodness a smoothie should offer.
The four values we pride ourselves in are:
- Customer Satisfaction.
Why Consider This Franchising Opportunity
Extensive research into the business model and market
Puré Frooty Smoothie was an idea, researched widely, by people looking to simplify the business process for the consumer and business owner. There was a gap in the market for simplified customer service and a demand for a quicker turnaround time.
Simplified process for setting up a business
For an entrepreneur it can be very overwhelming to start or buy a new or existing business. There are so many crucial decisions that need to be made from the beginning and new concepts to adapt to.
Puré Frooty Smoothie simplifies that drastically:
- Free-standing machines: The business model revolves around a free-standing vending machine which needs to be visited to refill and maintenance.
- No shop-fitting required: There is no need for shop fittings or a large work force. All that is required is an inside space for the machine with a power supply.
- Minimal human resources needed: In terms of a work force, you could either do it yourself or have one person to assist you. There is also a part time involvement where refill station teams can refill and maintain the machine.
- Cashless business: The business is completely cashless so there are no worries of a note jam, full cash canister or insufficient denomination rand values. More importantly the machines would do a higher turnover than an ordinary vending machine so safety of no cash is important.
- Easy tracking of stock and performance: A cloud-based system is linked to the point of sale which allows you to monitor your performance and stock from the back-office platform at any given time.
- Efficient handling of maintenance: With a live point of sale system, the business is linked to a software which monitors the operations of the machine. Should anything malfunction an immediate notification will be sent with a diagnostics report.
- Human error is eliminated: Everything is done with a computer which leaves little to no room for errors. It is self-order and very user friendly.
Related: SA Fast Food Franchising On The Rise
Why Will Customers Love It
Puré Frooty Smoothie offers a vending machine that can produce a delicious smoothie in forty seconds. An informative touch screen ordering panel which displays all the nutritional information of the smoothie ordered and has the current news and weather.
No time wasted for the consumer. In fact, it’s a learning session disguised as a waiting period. The machine has two wash cycles after every smoothie is made to be freshly prepared for the next smoothie, business hygiene is important.
Consumers live in the fast lane. We are looking for something quick and most times we would like to be healthier. With the hustle and bustle of today’s life every little bit helps. Puré Frooty Smoothie fills that gap in the market.
Interested in Becoming A Franchisee?
Visit our Franchise Info Page for everything you need to know about how to become information a Puré Frooty Smoothie Franchisee owner.
You can also call or write to us:
Phone / 012-942 6360
Email / email@example.com
Want to know more about this franchise? Watch the video below for more.