When we celebrated Women’s Day, every man wanted to know why they can’t have a ‘Men’s Day’. So we obliged and gave them National Braai Day.
So what has The Braai got to do with Financial Planning?
First of all, braaiers and their followers around the fire seem to change into amateur financial advisers the moment the match hits the coals. “Have you heard about this fantastic investment opportunity? A friend of a friend is getting 25% return on his money.” Or “Now is the time to buy gold.”
That aside, here are some real similarities between The Braai and financial planning:
1.The Goal.Although it sometimes seems as if the main objective of The Braai is to donate a record number of beer bottles to recycling afterwards, the social interaction and having something to eat are also important goals. In the same way, when you engage in a process to put your financial affairs in order, you might have a number of objectives that you want to achieve, but it is of utmost importance that you have a goal. This could be as varied as:
- I want to make sure my family will be able to maintain their lifestyle if something happens to me.
- I want to be able to send my children to university one day
- I want to retire with a pension equal to my final salary
- I have a bucket list and I want to know how I can afford it all.
- I want to, for once and all, get my debt situation under control.
2.The Braaier.Around the braai everybody is an expert: about wood versus coals, how hot the fire must be, how long the steak should braai, salt before or afterwards. But if there is not at least one guy who knows what he is doing, then you are in trouble – and dinner might only be served when everybody has gone home, or it might end up in burned steaks or raw sausages.
In the same way, you need an expert who knows what he/she is doing when it comes to your finances. And fortunately there are professional financial planners that can take you by the hand, help unpack your goals for life, draft a plan for you and put in place the right investments or policies to help you make the most of your life. (For the name of a certified financial planner go to fpi.co.za)
3. The Marinade.Even if you just throw the contents of a bottle over your meat, or go the whole hog by doing it yourself from the start, the marinade is an important part of the ritual of The Braai. The preparation is not complete without the marinade. In the same way, if you want to start getting your financial affairs in order, you need to do the prep work. This is getting all the necessary documentation together, knowing where your money is invested or what policies you have – and very importantly, your spending plan and a copy of your will.
4. The safety measures.Most people will make sure the braai fire will not burn the house down or that broken bottles won’t hurt anybody – to ensure that the lasting memory of the braai is the good time everybody had, and not the tragic event. In the same way, one of the principles of financial planning is to ensure that if a serious life changing event happens such as death or disability, the people who matter in your life will have the best of memories of your time together, and not only remember the hardship they had to endure afterwards.
5. The cost: fancy versus simple.Even if it is a bring-and-braai, you still have to shop for your part of the meat. But if you are the host, then your outlay would range from as little as the cost of a few sausages to the Full Monty: a snoek for starters, deboned leg of lamb or fillet steak and champion boerewors for mains.
The same applies for financial advice: you will be paying for the advice, in one way or another. Because, do you really want to get the meat for your braai for free from the corner shop – you have no idea what they put in that sausage to be able to offer it to you for free – or if there is even any meat in the casing.
Enjoy National Braai Day – and hopefully the heros of The Braai also take care of the salads, pap, sauce for the pap, potato dish, braai broodjies and dessert. And of course, the marinade. Otherwise we’ll need another Women’s Day to recover from National Braai Day.
6 Ways To Develop A Millionaire Mindset
Chasing money has remarkably little to do with getting rich.
If you truly want to have a million dollars, you must first be and think like a millionaire. By doing so, you will attract the necessary resources to you.
So, you want to become a millionaire entrepreneur? You’re not alone. Many dream of leaving their job and becoming their own boss, enjoying the various millionaire lifestyles we watch on TV. But there’s a difference between those who dream of becoming millionaires and those who do. And it begins and ends with mindset. If you don’t develop that mindset, you will continue to spin your wheels, working just as hard, but never going anywhere.
Developing a millionaire mindset requires you to stretch your thinking. Start by developing the following six attributes.
4 Ways To Become A Millionaire Even When You Start With Little
It costs nothing to take advantage of the limitless opportunities online.
The hardest part of becoming successful is getting started to begin with. But despite the challenges ahead of you, there’s a way to become a millionaire when starting with little. I’m going to show you four reasons why you can become a millionaire with just a small investment.
1. First focus on learning, not big gain
Education is your greatest weapon. Focus on learning in the beginning. Don’t make the mistake of focusing on making huge gains in the beginning. Learn everything you can because this is how you build the foundations for long-term gains.
They say that if a millionaire goes bankrupt they’ll nearly always be able to get it back. And that’s because they might have lost their money, but they have the knowledge of how to get back to where they need to be.
2. You can learn loads about any topic online
I’m grateful for the internet. It’s the single biggest library in the world. You’re reading this article right now and you’re acquiring knowledge you wouldn’t have been able to acquire 40 years ago.
Use the internet to its fullest extent, whether that’s through reading books, browsing articles or watching video tutorials. Set some time aside every day to learn something online. It could be a video series or a favorite blog.
When you get into the habit of learning regularly you’ll find that you advance much faster.
3. Focus on the niche you love
These days you can learn about anything and target the niche you’re passionate about.
This is what I was able to do with penny stocks. I found a gap in the market and provided knowledge to people who wouldn’t have otherwise being able to access this sort of information.
You can do that with absolutely any niche. When you find a niche you’re passionate about and you use the reach of the Internet you start to make huge gains.
4. Prove your expertise by creating free content
Your reputation as an authority is the new business card. There’s a reason I created a penny stock guide and made it free for all. You may have already seen ads for it on social media. The way to succeed with little is to create a reputation through your content.
It’s the gateway to success because through free content you start to build relationships with others who value your work. And from there everyone gets richer.
You can do lots with a little
The days when you needed a huge investment to become successful are long gone. These days you can do so much with just a little. Find what you love, advance your knowledge in that area, and create a product that fulfills a need. Finally, work on building up relationships through portraying yourself as an authority on your subject.
Combine everything together and you can accomplish anything.
This article was originally posted here on Entrepreneur.com.
10 Tips To Become A Millionaire This Year
Becoming a millionaire requires changing your mindset and implementing some changes.
Becoming a millionaire may seem out of your reach, but it’s possible with the right attitude and guidance. The fact of the matter is your income can only grow as quickly as you do, so you need to change your mindset to achieve your goal of becoming a millionaire.
Once you have a millionaire mind, you can’t lose it, no matter what financial or business mistakes you make along the way. To get yourself there, you’re going to need some structure. To help you, I’ve outlined the top ten tips you should follow to become a millionaire this year.
Self Development1 week ago
5 Inspiring Quotes From Madiba To Stir You Into Action On Mandela Day
Entrepreneur Profiles2 days ago
Karl Westvig Of Retail Capital Shares His Insights Into A Year-On-Year Double-Digit Growth Business
Angel Investors1 week ago
A Comprehensive List Of Angel Investors That Fund South African Start-Ups
Ongoing Learning4 days ago
15 Of The Best And Most Unusual Online Courses For Entrepreneurs
Lessons Learnt4 days ago
11 Things Very Successful People Do That 99% Of People Don’t
Small Business1 week ago
Even SMEs Can Use Big Data: Here’s How
Branding10 hours ago
Personal Brand Or Business Brand: Which Is More Important?
Strategy1 week ago
There’s More To Team Management Than Leadership