Metropolitan Oliver Empowerment Awards are SA’s most influential awards recognising leadership and innovation in Empowerment. The Awards are now in their 10th year and have become hugely prestigious and are considered the ultimate accolade by winning companies for their transformation activity.
The Awards, with official media partners – Impumelelo and Business Report, are the primary means by which the Metropolitan Oliver Empowerment Awards identifies, celebrates and disseminates good practice and communicates the positive impact on business and society.
Top Empowered Company Awards:
- Basic Industries
- General Industrials
- Food & Beverages
- Healthcare & Pharmaceuticals
- Travel, Leisure & Entertainment
- Business Support Services
- Professional Support Services
- Financial Services
Top Empowered SMME Company Award:
- FNB Top Empowered SMME
Top Empowered Government Awards:
- Top Empowered Government Department
- Top Empowered Government Agency
- Top Empowered Government Parastatal
Top Empowered Individual Awards:
- Top Black Entrepreneur (Male)
- Top Black Entrepreneur (Female)
- Metropolitan Top Young Black Entrepreneur
- FNB Top Black Businessman
- Metropolitan Top Black Businesswoman
- Top Black Public Sector Executive
- Musa Capital Top Empowered Big Business Award (Revenue of R500 million and above)
- Top Empowered Corporate Award (Revenue between R35 million to R500 million)
All entrants will be reviewed on the following general criteria as well as the specific category criteria:
- Implementation of strategic B-BBEE policies.
- Implementation of effective internal B-BBEE measurement mechanisms.
- Demonstrate effective transformation policies.
- Status with regards to the seven pillars of empowerment as per the B-BBEE scorecard:
- Management & Control
- Employment Equity
- Skills Development
- Preferential Procurement
- Enterprise Development
- Social Economic Development
- Strong financial performance, based on the following indicators:
- Only companies with a valid B-BBEE scorecard will be considered for entry.
To be confirmed
Entry Closing Date
Please visit the Impumelelo website for details
Tel: 086 000 9590
Africa Awards for Entrepreneurs
Entries are now open for the Africa Awards.
From the Longitude Prize in the 18th century to Alfred Nobel’s laureate awards at the start of the 20th century, the power of prize programmes to catalyse innovation and inspiration is undeniable. Such prizes serve a purpose beyond recognition and reward alone – also raising awareness, creating role models and igniting ambition.
From our experience with previous prize programmes within Africa and globally, we have met remarkable entrepreneurs who never lost belief in themselves, even when confronted by overwhelming challenges but persevered to bring their ideas to fruition. As such entrepreneurs work to create businesses that meet the needs of those around them and by doing so raise the living standards of their communities while also creating something of lasting value for themselves, their employees, their communities and their nations. The Africa Awards for Entrepreneurship is honoured to provide a platform upon which they may continue to inspire a new generation of African entrepreneurs.
- To promote the value of entrepreneurship as a driving force of today’s Africa
- To celebrate the standards of business excellence within Africa
- To encourage small business owners and aspiring entrepreneurs to embrace the challenges and rewards of entrepreneurship
- To build strong networks of African entrepreneurs as a source of learning and sharing of best practice
- To attract more venture capital inflows towards good businesses across Africa
Small and medium sized, for-profit enterprises who are headquartered in Africa may apply. A local subsidiary of an African-headquartered company may apply provided it meets the eligibility criteria on its own. Please note the minimum qualifications of turnover between US$ 1 – 15 million; demonstrated profitability; and more than 10 employees.
Closing Dates for Entries
24 August 2011
Believe Begin Become
Believe Begin Become is a business plan competition (BPC) developed by TechnoServe to support and grow new businesses in Africa.
- A highly motivated South African citizen or permanent resident
- Over the age of 21
- Who has promising businesses or ideas
To be confirmed
Closing date for Entries
Business Launchpad Competition
The Business Launchpad is South Africa’s biggest entrepreneur competition. It focuses on both start-ups and business expansion.
The Business Launchpad is the country’s biggest entrepreneur competition. During 2009 more than 6 000 people registered to enter their business idea or expansion plan across 10 industries.
The Business LaunchPad competition aims to create an opportunity for anyone with a business idea or existing business, and who finds it difficult to secure conventional commercial funding, to be considered for access to start-up or expansion funding.
Any South African citizen or permanent legal resident over the age of 18 may enter.
Note: Section 21 companies, Public Benefit Organisations and other non-profits may not enter as the competition funding partners do not provide grants or funding to non-profit entities.
To be confirmed
Closing date for Entries
Visit the Business Launchpad website for details
Tel: +27 21 422 0690
+27 11 234 2526
+27 31 312 4233
- This Is A Call To The Curious – Applications For The Allan Gray Orbis Foundation Fellowship Programme Are Open
- Facebook Launches A Classifieds Marketplace In South Africa
- How You Can Make Failing Part Of Your Growth Strategy
- Customer Control For Entrepreneurs
- 5 Things SME’s Need To Be Thinking About In 2018
- Planning Ahead For The Cloud: 5 Tips For Start-Ups
- 9 Quotes Every Entrepreneur Should Live By
Start-up Industry Specific2 months ago
How Do I Start A Transport Or Logistics Business?
Entrepreneur Profiles2 months ago
10 SA Entrepreneurs Who Built Their Businesses From Nothing
Business Plan Advice2 months ago
Writing a Business Plan May Not Be Your Idea Of Fun, But It Forces You To Build These 4 Crucial Habits
Company Posts2 weeks ago
Enhance Your Entrepreneurial Flair With An Online Postgraduate Diploma From The University Of Pretoria